Monday, December 7, 2009

On the mend

I am happy to report that I am definitely feeling better with each passing day. I'm still on pain medication, but it's the kind that doesn't make me crazy (thank goodness), and I still look pretty swollen (although everyone who has seen me swears it's not as bad as I think it is). The worst part? You know that feeling you get when your foot falls asleep and then you move and it's all numb and tingly for a few minutes? Imagine that--on the bottom half of your face--ALL the time. It's not painful, just very strange and somewhat uncomfortable. I went to the doctor again today, and he told me it's totally normal (and actually a good thing). Not only is my swelling still putting pressure on the main nerve of that area, but my muscles and everything else in my jaw/face are getting used to the new placement of my jaw and my new bite. He said it will probably last a few more weeks, so I guess I'll just have to keep getting used to it. He told me again that everything looks great, and he took out the stitches on each side of my face where the tiny screws are. He said that both he and I will notice some swelling for the next 8 weeks, but that most people won't really be able to tell after another week or so (for those of you that see me on a regular basis, you'll have to be honest with me when I ask if you can notice!). I go back in a week for another check-in, and then I'll probably go back once every couple of weeks until he releases me back to my orthodontist for the end of my treatment...and fingers crossed, in about 3-4 months, the braces will be off. I CAN'T WAIT.

My mom heads back to Charleston tomorrow morning, and I'm confident that I'll be just fine getting along the rest of the week without her. Don't get me wrong--I could never have gotten through the past 8 days if she hadn't been here. But I'm feeling better now, and she has given me lessons on how to make everything in the Magic Bullet. The hardest thing without her at this point will be keeping track of when to take all my medicine--she keeps meticulous notes on what time I take everything so that she knows when to give me the next set--I never have to lift a finger! I think I can handle it though, and I have some great offers from friends to come by and say hello (warning--it is still a little painful to talk for more than 20-30 minutes at a time, so visitors, don't be offended if I am not keeping up my end of the conversation or if I politely try to kick you out after a little while!).

In addition to watching the entire final season of Gilmore Girls over the past 3 days, we have gotten out of the apartment a few times. Yesterday we did go see New Moon (still good the second time for me, and yes, I realize I am a nerd) and then stopped by the grocery store, and today we went to the doctor and to get pedicures. :) I think I mostly have the all-day TV watching out of my system at this point...which will hopefully force me to productively use these next few days to work hard on finishing my grad school applications!! Other than getting my car serviced and getting a hair cut, I don't have any other plans, but if I post it on here, maybe it will keep me accountable. Although I did receive a basket full of fun distractions yesterday that I may let myself get tempted by--thanks Mary Pat and Patrick!

Hope everyone is having a great week--special congrats to my best friend Linds for finishing her first semester of grad school today--xoxo!

No comments:

Post a Comment